Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 2 Experiences

This day was spent mostly allowing the rest of the group to adjust to the new time and buy supplies as well as see the area around us.

-Saw the Karen Blixen house. I guess she did a lot to set up this area and introduced the coffee crop as a cash crop or something like that. If you have ever seen the movie Out of Africa, that is exactly who this is about. Its really cool, I bought a map, and where I am staying and have been is on places that figure into the movie and the historical happenings of Karen Blixen, in fact, the suburb of Niarobi Im staying in is called, Karen. Go check out the movie for the effects of where I am at.

-I can see why Europeans would have come here so much and tried to take over. The weather is beautiful. Yeah the sun can get a little hot midday especially since its direct sunlight from the equator, but the temperature hasnt gotten as high as Missouri summer temperatures. In the shade its fine, or covered from the sun with clothing its fine. The nights and mornings are quite pleasant if not a little cold for some of the people. All in all very nice temperatures here for this time of year, and having seen some of the European places, its as if its a resort hidaway for them. In fact I saw a really old poster from when this was still a British colony advertising this as a winter getaway.

-Saw the elephants, rhino, and giraffes. I got to touch them all. The elephant keepers are much like the wildlife rangers in America, very concerned with conservation. The lady did admit that it is somewhat of a tough sell to convince people here to spend money saving the animals when much of the country is in poverty or starving. I think that speaks for itself and I wont add more to that, take it as you will...

-Drove past one of, if not the, worlds biggest slums. I forget the name, but it is right in the heart of Niarobi. I will get to go inside it at a later date.

-Got my first African kiss... granted it was by a Giraffe....

- Lots of flowers everywhere. You can buy 20 roses for a $1.50

Thats all for today. Work on the church begins day 3.

1 comment: