Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 15 Experiences--Thursday, July 2

Today was the first day Matthew and I went out and did work together. We did home visits working with the Heart to Heart program.

-I heard Victoria around a lot last night. I kept hearing certain noises and would shout out “Victoria,” but she was nowhere to be found. Very odd I know. I don’t know what that girl eats…

-The almost mugging I mentioned in an earlier post almost happened today. I was on a Matatu with one of my African friends when 5 men all with some sort of bats (I saw the men, didn’t see the bats) got on the 15 seat van, putting probably 17 people on at that time. Almost immediately as we got underway my friend started getting the attention of the conductor to stop in what was obviously an area not our stop. The conductor acknowledged my friend, but did not follow the request (very unusual for them to do so, normally the just call for a stop). Apparently, my friend recognized some of the men as having done this sort of thing. They work with the driver and force him to pull off into an empty area like a side parking lot and then take what they want from their target, and seeing as I was the only white person on the bus and carrying a full bag (however valuable a Missouri State bag can look). We got off and later saw a couple of the men just sitting at a truck stop doing nothing. All in all, I was told we narrowly avoided me getting mugged. I would say that’s a plus in my book.

-Something tripped the electric wire surrounding our fence, or someone accidently pressed the security button, because at about 11pm a group of security men showed up outside my room asking if I had pressed the button and was alright. They looked ready for action. It was kind of a happy site considering the notion that they were ready to go had there been an actual problem.

-Matthew and I did house visits today, our first day of work. We visited the places of residence of the orphaned kids and who they were staying with. One lady, the grandmother of two children in her custody was so happy. She was in tears and in Swahili kept thanking God. We had brought her food and the Word of God. Apparently she and her family had not eaten in over a day because they had nothing, and were staying with a friend because they had no money for rent. This situation was definitely the most touching of the day. It was such a joy to pray with her and see the happiness in her eyes.

-It is definitely interesting being white and the extreme minority. Sometimes I get some rather odd looks. Other times I almost get mugged ;) On many occasions on the Matatus I have been almost ripped off, with the conductor trying to keep my change or overcharge me. Thankfully I always hand one of my African friends my money and have them pay for me, and then I hear arguments in Swahili, to which afterwards they say, “he says you need to pay more because you are white.” Most people are generally friendly, kind, and welcoming towards me, as is their custom to do with strangers they meet.

Well, that is all the internet I am going to get tonight. I wish I was more caught up, I dont know when I will have a chance to post again, but I will do my best. Sorry for so many posts at once.

Love and miss you all.
Joseph

2 comments:

  1. You cn hear Victoria in Africa?? Must be the vibration through the earth =] that near mugging sounds scary Joseph and it's great that you had someone with you that recognized the danger and got you away from it. You are in my thoughts and prayers Joseph, I love you =]

    Love, Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ridiculous... I still love you though. :) I hope you are having a wonderful time, we all miss you very much. Stay safe. I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete