Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 17 Experiences--Saturday, July 4

Got to go on another little mini safari today, though this one was more about the scenary. We hiked through this gorge today that was just...gorgeous. The park itself was very unique, with Lion King like rocks rising on the planes, and huge rock-faced cliffs, and of course, the enormous gorge.

-I went on the trip with my Hungarian partner Matthew, his contact here, Beata, a Lutheran at Uhuru highway, also Hungarian, her son who is, you guessed it, also Hungarian, and a husband and wife that were their family friends from back home, in, you guessed it, Hungary. For those of you keeping score at home, that makes 1 American and 5 Hungarians, in one car, in the middle of Kenya. I heard much gibberish throughout the day, though I'm told its Hungarian. Anytime something little went wrong on the trip, the response was (it's the American's fault) Thankfully it was all done lovingly.

-The mother, Beata reminds me of my friend Anna. So Anna, hello to you today. I missed you before I left, because obviously you like to go live other places, but I also miss you know too. The fact that she reminds me of you is a good thing by the way. I also haven't had a back pop from Jason in forever, and mine was stiff today.

-It was another hassle getting into the national park today. Just like the previous park. For a country that relies so much on tourism, they certainly do a lot to discourage it.

-The Hungarian boy (I say boy, he's 23 I think, I should just say son), named Marton, was driving and listening to, you guessed it, Dire Straits and Johnny Cash. Ah good ole American music...

-This was on my mind today, what is the first thing that Satan says in the Bible? Don't remember? Look it up. I loved it when Dr. Dorman would talk about this in Sunday School. The first thing he says tells so much about the tactics of how he works on us, tempting us. The first four words from his mouth (depending on the translation) tells so much.

-Saw the word "Harambee" (I think that's the spelling) on the Kenyan coat of arms or whatever it is called, and asked what it meant. I was told, that the first president of Kenya was very impressed by the unison and teamwork shown by the Indian workers that were working on the railroad at the time. Every time they would raise their hammers all at once, they would shout, "Harambee!" and bring their hammers down all together. The president used it on the coat of arms as a sign of teamwork. Later it was found out that "Harambee" is not an Indian word for "all together" but rather is an Indian word meaning praise, or all hail, or something along the lines of that, a Hindu god named Mbee. At that point it was already on everything. Since then, the Christians and Muslims (they are the vast majority of the country) have been fighting to get it taken off. All in all, my simple question came across a rather interesting story.

Well, that was two posts for tonight, so I am making progress, and God willing, will try to do more tomorrow. I love you all and miss you!

In Christ
Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment