Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 18 Experiences--Sunday, July 5

Today was day 18. We went to church today, at Uhuru Highway church again. It was good, I got to teach the English Sunday School, and it went well, had fun singing and such with the kids. Afterwards, I went to the Hungarians house here in Kenya, and had a very nice lunch and swam and watched Wimbledon. It was a good day. Here are some thoughts on it:

-Heard a great quote in the adult Bible study class today, "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." I think its true, and I like it.

-Met an American boy during the service, named Philip. He has a great story. He is living and going to school in North Carolina right now. He is over here for I think a month and a half doing work for a media organization that is doing church mission work. He is part of the filming and picture team and such. He was extremely interesting and we had great converstation. I haven't had a chance to yet (due to internet here) but I encourage all of you to check out the work he is doing. The website he gave me for it was http://www.philipvarvis.com/ He seems like a very talented and driven individual and it was my pleasure to meet him. Hopefully with him, and many of the other great workers I've met over here I will be able to stay in touch and will have made a great contact.

-They really don't believe in ice here. I have not experienced a single ice cube my entire time here (to the day of this writing too). Most drinks are then consequently warm or mild. At least they aren't the warm beer drinkers like in England. That just seems like heresy.

-To this point I have been 6 days without power, and tonight the generator broke, not that that is a huge deal because it was only running part of the time anyway. I guess in the entire 6 days it has been out, the electric company has only just now on day 6 come out. Only in Africa...

-As I said, I watched Wimbledon today. I got to watch it live our time here, like 7 in the morning real person time. It turned out to be the longest Wimbledon final in modern tennis. It also happened to be the first tv I have watched here. I was in a room rooting for the American Andy Roddick, while the Hungarians were rooting for the favored Swiss, Roger Federer. I must say, though he lost, Roddick gave Federer (who in the same match passed Pete Sampras for most Grand Slams won) a run for his money. I was proud of his effort as the underdog, and he narrowly lost taking the match the full five sets and into numerous extra games. Even more impressive I thought was the way this young man handled himself after losing a heartbreaking match. He spoke just minutes afterwards in an on court interview with class and dignity. Kudos to him and everyone else in this world that carries themselves with class, dignity, and respect for others.

Well I suppose that's it for today. Love ya much!

No comments:

Post a Comment